Creating Resonant, free Voice

Responses to the acting-instruction page.
cjhealey

Creating Resonant, free Voice

Post by cjhealey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 am

Hi again!

I'm still suffering from the same problem I was suffering from 6 months ago with my voice.

I can't seem to speak with a relaxed, resonant voice without talking loudly, and I'm not sure if when I speak loudly my voice is truly resonant or just loud lol

I have this problem where I feel like I get a build up of mucus or something in the back of my throat while I'm talking. I don't know what causes it, but I find that if I have to talk for any length, I have to keep washing it 'back down' with water.

I also find that when I speak quietly or at a normal volume, my voice becomes inconsistent and may occasionally break or stop mid-sentence.

I want my voice to sound, clear, rich and resonant when I speak at all volume, but I can't seem to work out how to do this.

Any suggestions / advice? (Beyond a vocal coach?)

Thanks Heaps,
Chris

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:30 am

It's difficult to offer advice on what you could/should do without knowing for certain what you're doing now... although you describe your trouble, it'd be important to know what kind of habitual configuration you adopt in your vocal apparatus. I'm not sure it's possible to improve without either coaching from someone who knows what to analyze or by incessant imitation of singers and speakers whose voices you admire (and in that latter, not mimicking their voices but replicating the manner in which they use their vocal tract).

That aside, have you heard of the concept of "placement"? That was the most important thing f'r me to know.