the next Big Step

Responses to the acting-instruction page.
aruffo
Site Admin

the next Big Step

Postby aruffo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 pm

It appears as though I've been accepted into the PhD program (Psychology) at McMaster University.

Curiously, their offer includes a teaching assistantship, and I don't doubt that despite the university's stated commitment to "problem-based learning" I will be asked to teach in a completely traditional setting.

How, I wonder, will I reconcile my desire to teach well (and my utter detestation of lecture-classes) with the parameters necessitated by the classes I'll be asked to handle? I doubt that I'll be able-- either by rule or by existing knowledge-- to completely abandon the existing curriculum as I did at the University of Florida.

The past few days, I've walked by a smaller lecture class (~40 students) in the hallway of the Psychology building and been disgusted to see an "Attendance Quiz" posted on the overhead. If this is what compels a student to attend, there's something wrong... but if I'm given the circumstances which I expect, how will I be able to do otherwise? The grinding machine is a severe and potent enemy.

lancemaria

re: hello

Postby lancemaria » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:09 pm

PHD program . That was great. Good luck.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks! I'm in Canada now and getting ready for the impending school year.

lancemaria

re: hello

Postby lancemaria » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:54 pm

You were so lucky!!!!

Lots of us/them want to be like you!!!

Return to “Acting and teaching”