Resuming Research

General topics and issues.
zacxpacx

Resuming Research

Post by zacxpacx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:48 am

How close are you to wrapping up the PhD, Chris? I'd love to get the perfect pitch research moving again.

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey Chris, on a topic unrelated to perfect pitch (though kind of related for me/other forum members)...

How's the PhD coming along? What's the status report?

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Chris, please?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Working on it.

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 am

Just had a thought: Different ability levels of perfect pitch are probably dependent on how well an individual is able to perceptually isolate chroma from sound they hear. Lorelei has posted in the past emphasizing that every sound has a pitch. Car horns, bird chirps, even speech sounds (which he consciously ignores). Most of the people with perfect pitch I know can distinguish all the pitches in environmental noises -- spanning a myriad of timbres. The difference in perfect pitch ability becomes apparent when listeners are exposed to multiple pitches simultaneously (eg. a chord) or in extreme speed scenarios.

Previously, I've thought that there is more perceptual differentiation work to be done before tackling the issue of categorical perception. The instrumental timbres in APA aren't as complicated and overwhelming as some environmental tones like car horns or alarms. However, now I'm beginning to wonder if more perceptual differentiation really is the answer. I believe (and lorelei, please weigh in with your own experience) children with perfect pitch usually develop it for their own instrument first before becoming able to hear the pitches in other timbres. And those children end up being able to hear pitches in any sound, even crazy environmental noises.

So perhaps categorical perception doesn't have to follow complete chroma isolation. Now, the question becomes: how much perceptual differentiation is needed before we can establish categorical perception? Theoretically, the answer is enough to construct a cyclic spectrum and not a linear one. Practically, I don't know how much is necessary...
Last edited by zacxpacx on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 am

And Chris, I'm not entirely sure how the whole PhD thing works, so I apologize if I'm being irritatingly ignorant.

I figured there'd be some sort of upcoming deadline for when everything should be wrapped up and finished, but is this not the case? I don't know what the timeline for a PhD is like. Is it a matter of months now? Or years still?

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Is it a matter of months or years now?

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 am

Is it (hopefully) a matter of months now? :?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes, that.

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:27 pm

It's been a few weeks... how close are we getting, Chris?

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Closing in, Chris? Sorry... I'm getting excited as the end approaches.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:16 am

I appreciate your sympathy, and I assure you I will report something when there is something to report. In the meantime, as active as you are, we're all intrigued to hear your new thoughts and discoveries.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Damn, zacxpacx, give the guy a break! Haha, I've been wondering whether Chris was ever going to return to AP research myself or if he had simply exhausted himself on it and was on to other things. Of course, he IS on to other things, just didn't know if he'd ever come back to it.

Regardless, even if he never comes back to it, his contribution to the world of research on AP development has probably been of greater value than any other single person. And I'm talking about real investigation and research here, not just "try my program, you'll have AP in 6 weeks or your money back!". He has presented his research, thoughts, studies, methods, and the reason behind his methods for the world to scrutinize which is highly commendable.

So, hats off to you, Chris! Your software has been invaluable to my personal eartraining progress!

(Though I do sincerely hope you still maintain some interest in getting back into it, though ;o)

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 am

Haha, thanks for calling me out Space! It's always nice to have a sobering message like that. I pretty much live in a world of obsession with music and music perception. It's a consuming desire that (I think right now) can only be satiated by perfect pitch, but I won't know until I have it. I've more or less come to terms with being abnormally obsessed with the pursuit of perfect pitch, and it tends to manifest itself as pestering on the forums.

Ultimately, I know what Chris decides to do is his choice entirely, but that doesn't mean I won't prod him, repeatedly, toward perfect pitch. Anything to figure it out! And yes, the work Chris has already completed is awesome. I've thanked him for it elsewhere on the forum, but here it is again. Thank you, Chris.

Now let's get that PhD wrapped up and continue with perfect pitch work!

zacxpacx

Post by zacxpacx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 am

One point: Space, I just reread your post and wanted to make clear that for all the value of Chris's research and exploration, it has been a unscientific journey. There is no hard evidence to support the conclusions Chris has drawn in his studies. Though it is, in my opinion, the best interpretation of available evidence, it is still conjecture.

If using Chris's premise of what perfect pitch may be can lead to perfect pitch in adults, then it will be possible to conclude that he's been right all along. But until then...