can't I hear the target pitch anymore

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
peterjordan

can't I hear the target pitch anymore

Postby peterjordan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi,

I know you might be thinking, the reason you can't hear the target pitch because you haven't got a good ear. I have a good ear...got 94% using random pitches for C and G. now I am on E and cir 89 and I find it difficult to hear the 'E' now for some mysterious reason.

I gave myself a break from playing the game, but when I come back to it I find I am guessing all over again.

in fact i find that myself guessing a lot, a big part of me thinks the game is in error, after all if the 'E' was there I'd hear it for sure? There is something weird about the sample pitches, they sound nothing like an 'E' in there yet the program obviously suggesting that there is.

What do I do?

I can't kid myself I hear the target note when I don not...perhaps I have reached the limit of my pitch hearing ability? Maybe this is why I do not have absolute pitch, because I am Chroma deaf???

This is sooo strange.....I flew through the other notes.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 am

Keep me posted.. It'd be a concern for me if the game were in error, but what you describe seems like an interesting development in any event.

TS

Re: can't I hear the target pitch anymore

Postby TS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 am

peterjordan wrote:in fact i find that myself guessing a lot, a big part of me thinks the game is in error, after all if the 'E' was there I'd hear it for sure? There is something weird about the sample pitches, they sound nothing like an 'E' in there yet the program obviously suggesting that there is.

I have noticed that it's more difficult to recognise the tones when they are played in the higher octaves.

Could this be because of the order in which the octaves appear in the game, that is, first middle, then lower octaves, then higher? Or maybe it's the melody words? I think most of the melody words contain the target pitch in the middle and lower octaves, but not in the higher octaves, which makes it easier to compare the melody words to tones in lower octaves.

I have sometimes played the game so that I have a keyboard next to me, so I can listen to individual notes on the keyboard and compare their sounds to the sounds in the game. This makes it easier to pick apart the complex sounds and perceive the individual tones in them. But does it make the game ineffective if there is a way to compare the sounds to the target pitch on its own?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:22 am

Any and every comparison should help. If you hear the target tone, or detect that you do not, then it doesn't matter how you've done it. (when I was making the game, I was determined to design it so there would be no way to "cheat"!)

Return to “Absolute Pitch Avenue”