Random Timbres/Random Instruments

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
ladygaregga

Random Timbres/Random Instruments

Postby ladygaregga » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 am

For all of you playing APB with random instruments, do you just go along with the full list, or do you handpick your instruments?

If you handpick your instruments, which one do you pick?

And do you think it is any better for my learning if I stuck with the full list of instruments, instead of picking a few?

For me, I started out with the full list, but because my computer doesn't have one of those high-end samplers (EMU, VIA Vinyl Envy24) I am stuck with those grating Windows default Roland GS samples which had been bundled since Windows 98.

I think some of the Windows default MIDI instruments are not very suitable in the context of APB, and that is why I leave out many of the instruments.

Here's my pick:

All the Pianos
All the Trumpets
All the Strings
All the Violins
Glockenspiel

Music Box
Choirs

luis

Postby luis » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:39 am

I have begun with the piano sound and I could go up to avenue 30 with no mistakes. Then I decided to change to random instrument and it was a little bit harder. I realized than doing always the same instrument made me recognize through instrument color too, and not only "pitch color".
I am a classical guitarist and I can recognize an E note played on the guitar immediatly. I can even name in which string it's been played. I can recognize each string particular timber. But on other instruments I cannot recognize the E like that.
When using random instruments I realized I am learning to extrapolate the real pitch color, despite the instrument timber. So I think it is an important feature of the APA exercises.
Then I selected as many instruments as I could, even some weird ones, as long as they have a reasonable sound. I've just removed some instruments which does not sound very well or sound percussive.
But I had to find another software to test all the instruments. It would be better if there was a "test" button for each instrument in the selection dialog of ETC.

Stefan

Postby Stefan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Personally I think it is easier to learn the tones when you use only your main instrument sound all the way through at first, then switch to random timbres, I handpick mine simply because some sound so synthetic/computerized that its hard to distinguish some tones using some timbres, that may be due to microsoft windows horrible wavetable midi synthesizer(if ETC even uses the operating systems midi synth? I was wondering this...)

Stefan

Re: Random Timbres/Random Instruments

Postby Stefan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:07 pm

ladygaregga wrote:
I think some of the Windows default MIDI instruments are not very suitable in the context of APB, and that is why I leave out many of the instruments.

Here's my pick:

All the Pianos
All the Trumpets
All the Strings
All the Violins
Glockenspiel

Music Box
Choirs

Its unfortunate that Microsoft pretty much gave up on their midi synth development, they do not even have an option to select a different synth for if you have your own hardware midi soundbank, I find that very annoying especially since the sounds suck so bad, haha, I did however find something that might work but I am unable to test it as my soundcard doesnt have a midibank...
http://www.sdim.gr/mpc/

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:41 pm

It's definitely a good idea to listen to random timbre. Something else you can do for fun is play with the timbres in the real world! Try to identify the pitch of that car horn or bird call! Mind you, it won't be right on but I think it can help.

Stefan

Postby Stefan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 am

Ive noticed most car horns are G or G#, but not always, I agree random timbres are good to use, but only after you have mastered a single timbre...

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:50 pm

I don't know this: If someone wants to practice on everyday noises, would it be a good idea to carry a tuner around? I would think so, since otherwise how can anyone be sure (unless they have AP or almost have it)?

RockofStrength

Postby RockofStrength » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:02 am

If you have a good cell phone you can probably download a tuner on it, so it wouldn't be anything extra to carry around.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:17 pm

ok so if you have a good cell phone, get a tuner app and listen to everyday sounds for pitch!

FridayFeast

Postby FridayFeast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:59 am

My suggestion would definitely be to make the leap to all random timbres as soon as possible. I started out with the default and felt that it was somehow limiting...after making the more difficult shift to random timbres, I had a much greater feeling of progress and had a C fixed in my memory after only 10 or so levels. It's certainly more challenging, but also more satisfying.

Return to “Absolute Pitch Avenue”