How to feel the color?

Comments and questions about AP Avenue.
jac

Postby jac » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:14 am

A link i liked, because it allows practicing slow or fast any speed we want.

http://detrave.net/nblume/perfect-pitch/

Nikolayman

Postby Nikolayman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Lorelei, I was wondering how key signatures affect hearing a score in your inner ear. When you see a note that would be sharp or flat because of the signature do you hear the natural and then remind yourself to adjust, or do you establish the key center in your ear and then sort of just know intuitively that the notes are sharp or flat?

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 am

Well, a key signature tends to imply a key... so I just start reading along and it becomes clear what key I'm in. After that, the adjusting sort of just happens automatically to fit the key.
I suppose this goes along with establishing a key center in my ear... which makes sense since keys have their own characteristics too, not just notes. Once I've established the key center, the adjusting happens automatically, and if I modulate I adjust accordingly.

Nikolayman

Postby Nikolayman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Cool thanks for your reply! Interesting so each key has its own characteristics, would you say "feel"?

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Yeah, feel, color, mood... whatever you want to call it :D

Nikolayman

Postby Nikolayman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Cool, cheers!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 pm

Yeah, the keys have different characteristics, as do individual notes and chords (the note of the tonic + RP functions).

I'd say score reading is still something I'm practicing... for anyone, that takes a lot of practice and can be quite challenging, especially highly complicated contemporary works. I don't think I've quite mastered the art of score-reading those as well as I'd like. However, through practicing I've gotten better at that and I think my ear's grown too, so yay :D

Nikolayman

Postby Nikolayman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm

I imagine mental score reading is challenging at first - I suppose being quite proficient at reading music in the first place is necessary, no?
I've been trying to get the "feel" for keys that I hear on the radio, although I am still really relying on the 1 chord, either major or minor, for the indication of key (although sometimes I might only be able to recognize a chord of a different degree, e.g. the 3 chord, D of Bminor). Anyway - still got a lot of work to do! Thanks for your feedback

Return to “Absolute Pitch Avenue”