What's your take on music perception?

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
Walerian

What's your take on music perception?

Post by Walerian » Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey guys I was just wondering how everyone here percieves music? I find my perception changes depending on my mood and what I pay attention to.

Can you hear all the rythms at once? (guitar/drums/bass)

What do you concentrate on if you can only hear one?

Does it fluctuate?

What gets you in the zone?

What do you enjoy the most about music?

and how long have you been playing an instrument?

Feel free to also share your thaughts about how your hearing has progressed over the years of musical training, I think we could get some interesting answers :)

Kayd

Post by Kayd » Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 pm

One of the cool things about absolute pitch training is that it has profoundly altered what I can hear in music. APA, and at least some other methods designed to improve chroma perception, involve practicing picking out pitches in progressively denser and denser musical structures. Even an amazingly small amount of that kind of practice can fundamentally change how well you can hear what is going on in music. It is as if what I heard before was muddy and indistinct and now I hear right to the back of the mix, every detail. I can pay attention to individual instruments if I like, but I can also de-focus my perception and hear everything that is going on.

lorelei

Post by lorelei » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 am

I hear music mostly by pitch (and intervals), and the rhythms which are mad up of these pitches. Because of this, I can hear several rhythms at one time, although my sense of pitch is by far better than my sense of rhythm.