About time I wrote something new

Thoughts and responses regarding the research at acousticlearning.com.
aruffo
Site Admin

About time I wrote something new

Post by aruffo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm

I've started a new phase on the main page. An e-mail conversation with a parent using We Hear and Play made me realize that actually, I do have an idea of how adults can learn perfect pitch—but the process is so intensive and complex, as I see it, that I'm not going to put together a curriculum overnight (and certainly not into a single computer program or app).

So I am going to write it out, partly for the sake of putting my thoughts together comprehensively, but mainly for the sake of letting folks work on learning it themselves in a self-guided manner (if they want to).

I'm going to be taking my time with writing each part (not that anyone's been holding their breath, eh?) because I want to be as concise and precise as possible.

werewere

Re: About time I wrote something new

Post by werewere » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm eager to read your new ideas!! I come to the forum once every 2-4 months or so to check if there are some news, this one is fantastic :)

Total immersion, sounds interesting. Not sure about how to do that, so I'll wait (not so) patiently to read your thoughts!!

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 am

It's a-comin'. I expect it'll be a series of relatively short writings with a few weeks in between each; I'm taking quite a bit of time to ponder and revise so's I don't forget anything that matters and keep it as organized and direct as possible. Whether or not I succeed at that goal, I know the scope of what I've got to share, and I'll keep writin' till I've finished.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:38 am

In fact, I just finished the next piece... it'll take me a lilbit to remind myself of how to get all the formatting and updating done (now that I have a new "phase" to create on the website) but it's written... it's an explanation of how I define "absolute pitch". I'll probably have it up tomorrow, or at least by week's end.

It's funny that it took me as long as it did to write it because it's only four short paragraphs, but, as I said, I expect that'll be par for this course; I'm not brainstorming anything new here but trying to sift and synthesize all what's come before.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:56 pm

aaaaand it's up.

I'm sure I won't use the forum to announce every entry's progress, but I'd already mentioned this one, so here tis.

EvilBlade

Post by EvilBlade » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:38 am

Hey Chris, glad to hear from you! I also check the website regularly, every time hoping to see a different title in the main page...and now it finally happened! :D

Your theory seems promising. As always I'm going to try it personally!

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 am

I'll do my best to make it as clear a path as possible. (Thanks for checking in.)

The next entry is an explanation of what "musical phonemic awareness" means, as I see it (hear it?). It's taking me a little while because I'm trying to figure out exactly how, here, I initially want to expand on the core assertion of "read any definition of phonemic awareness and replace 'phonemes' with 'pitches'."