Possible solution to the border tone problem?

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
Apricator

Possible solution to the border tone problem?

Postby Apricator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 am

Hey Chris, I just had an idea about solving the problem of there being inevitably less and less border tones as the levels progress. You may well have thought of this one already and discarded it, but either way, would be interested to hear your thoughts on it. The idea is this:

Have a totally even distribution of pitches across the the given range, rather than more frequently occurring category centers, thus increasing the number of border tones hugely, but then have the game play you the actual in-tune note immediately after you choose an answer for any given egg, whether it be right or wrong. Eg. I click on an F that's a bit sharp or flat, I correctly choose orange, and then the game plays me a perfect F as the egg goes into the carton. This way, surely you wouldn't have to worry about creating "false perception of the category's ideal membership", as you say, right?

Of course, even then, I suppose the problem is that you'll end up comparing the tone of each egg to the sound of the category centre you last heard, as opposed to comparing the eggs to each other. Still, if there's a much higher proportion of border tones, perhaps it won't matter so much, as the increased challenge from this might offset the possible "crutch" effect of having constant category centers played at you. There could also perhaps be an option to turn this off for custom games at level 12 or higher.

I'm curious to know if you've tried this. I'm wondering what it would feel like, whether it would make it easier or harder than the current game format, or whether the "crutch" effect of the constant category centers being played would break the game/render it ineffective.

Apricator

Postby Apricator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 am

Actually, thinking about it, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary after every answer, but just every so often, with each category center having a set quota for the number of times it has to be played at you per round, just enough to enforce an accurate impression of it.

vanselm

Postby vanselm » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Interesting subject. Because I'm just struggling to overcome level 6, an most of the errors occur around borders, of course. But on the contrary of your opinion, when I read this post I felt a relief, when I realized that next levels would have less border tones :P .
May be chroma is a continuum. But how could we exactly guess where is the "official" division point, if we are still struggling to recognize the basic chroma sensations?
Or, if chroma isn't a continuum or at least we could find some kind of "milestones" inside it's range, then, perfectly tuned tones wouldn't possibly match with the centers of these "milestones", and we had another problem; some untuned tones could really sound more like the adjacent ones! (I often have this feeling).

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”