guitar tuning experiment

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
Axeman

guitar tuning experiment

Postby Axeman » Fri May 16, 2014 11:57 pm

I have been playing a little game with my AP Tuner app on my phone. What I do is take an open string and play a number of notes at the standard pitch and then wind the tuning peg sharp and flat and listen for the change in character at the border of the pitches. I go a semitone to a tone in either direction listening to the sounds at each semitone border and around the centre. I also play long and short sounds. So far I seem to notice the difference between notes qualities reasonably well.
Then I try to tune the string to a note without looking at the tuner by the tone quality I recognise as the pitch (it is easy to get it close by RP) and then check my accuracy.
I thought this would be a similar task to APP. What dyall reckon?

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon May 26, 2014 8:23 am

I dunno if it's similar to APP, but it can't hurt to try approaching this from a new angle (guitar tuning). This sounds like it would be helpful anyway, and if you really want to focus on AP I'd suggest just doing one string at a time, not doing more than that, because it would be easy to slip into RP judgments. Not that that's bad, but it sounds like RP judgments overshadowing AP judgments tends to be pretty typical.

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm

I have experienced this a few times now...when I am using other software that call for note identification - I can definitely hear the whistling quality of the F and G notes in the same octave that APP tests. I have noticed similar things with my tuning experiment.
When these notes are played in other octaves they don't have the same quality. I am thinking that maybe this is proof that the midi piano tones of the octave used in APP have a certain tembre for each note. Nevertheless the sound is disticnt from scale degree categorisation I think, as the other programme is testing for that specifically but the notes seem to stand out apart from their degree 'feeling'.
As for the guitar tuning experiment - it is a bit allusive. I hear the difference in qulaity or what I think is chroma as the note slowly morphs into the new note either by tuning up or down, or by bending the string. But then I can't retain the quality that I'm hearing or only vaguely.
APP is very frustrating for me. I get bored along the way. I start out really paying attention and get a high score then concentration lapses and I get really trigger happy and start meking lots of silly errors. Maybe I should play for 5 minutes only then come back fresh later.

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”