exeedingly hard to crack level two

Comments and questions about Absolute Pitch Painter
Axeman

exeedingly hard to crack level two

Postby Axeman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:19 pm

I have been playing multiple games at level two on the large level. My highest score was 1888 I decided to count the number of errors in my last game I got a score of 1676 and made 11 mistakes all up. Does that mean I have to have a perfect score to get to the next level?

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:39 pm

woohoo finally made it to 2000
I had to play very slowly but was up to a good score before the end of the second round of egg trays.
Ok I think i can continue to play now. Was getting quite despondent about it. I think I get fatigued ear while playing and then if I am going fast i make reflex mistakes. where I am meant to push a key but the other finger jumps in ahead of the one I was going to use. Playing really slowly help to alleviate this. I am on a laptop so using a mouse is not always practical (got to plug in and have laptop on table). I like to play the game on the couch or anywhere.
Chris you must be playing alot of games to be where you are up to. how do you deal with ear fatigue?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 pm

It's hard to say.. I don't think I get fatigued. I mean, I don't get ear fatigued; sometimes I'm just really physically tired and I don't want to play, but I don't believe I've yet felt like listening to the sounds is somehow physically stressful. Wait.. that's not entirely true. Trying to reach that high score, knowing that the next mistake I make might be the one that prevents me from acheiving it, that is pretty darn stressful... but the stress doesn't arise from the actual listening, and being stressed doesn't make it more difficult to hear things.

One thing you might want to try is to keep the animations on while you're playing with the keyboard. The eggs moving over to the cartons slows down the overall pace of the game and can, therefore, to a certain extent, discourage you from making reflex responses. I do generally use the mouse-- although I've taken to switching fingers to avoid repetitive stress injury, and I've also programmed in a new no-drag mouse feature-- but when I do use the keyboard, I keep the animation on.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:58 pm

You've reminded me of another reason why the scoring system has turned out to be a good thing-- it's not really how many mistakes you make, but when you make them. In the early going, mistakes don't cost you so much, so the game's quite forgiving then. But when you're chugging along at 12x and make three mistakes in a row then suddenly POW SPLAT BONK you're back down to 2x.

I had a game where there were only a handful of eggs left, and I was just a tiny way away from the necessary score, and so I figured I had it in the bag. I let myself listen less carefully and start guessing... and whammo, I fell short by about 5 points.

TS

Postby TS » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 am

Roughly speaking, if you want to get the passing scores you either have to make all your mistakes in the beginning and then play a perfect game to the end, or play a perfect game from the beginning and then make all your mistakes at the very end. The worst thing you can do is to make a couple of mistakes every now and then. That will very quickly limit your score.

My strategy is to begin by taking out only the eggs that are 100% safe bets. If I come across an egg that I'm even slightly unsure about I leave that egg alone. I find that this allows me to get to a pretty good score without making any mistakes, and then when I'm close to the score limit or even above it I can pretty safely begin sorting out the remaining "unsure" eggs.

Usually the second time these "unsure" eggs are much easier. Most of the time I can hear that some eggs that earlier sounded ambiguous now clearly have more of the "soft dark color" that make them belong to the middle category, for example.

The main point I think is that instead of thinking that for each egg there are 3 possible categories, you must start to think that there is also a 4th possibility, "leave this for now". If you think that there are only 3 options, you start to feel that you must press one of the 3 buttons, and that leads you to guessing. If you can make yourself think that there is also the 4th option, then there is another button available to you and you don't feel that you have to make a guess between the 3 categories.

Many times I keep pressing the space bar until I get an egg that I'm 100% sure of. If I'm not 100% sure then pressing the space bar is the safe option since skipping the egg can't affect my score, unlike a wrong guess.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 am

Well said. Ditto ditto on all points.

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 am

Found what I think is an error. A note that sounded by pitch height that it should belong to either grey blue or red yellow (it was at that pitch roughly between the two) did not register as beloning to either after repeated errors but instead was recognised as belonging to the green orange category. Could it be that there is a glitch on that one pitch? It was clearly not beloning to the green orange category by both pitch height and chroma as far as I could tell.

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:32 am

Played this time with a program called AP tuner running at the same time. Every time the note plays at C4 -6.3 cents or there abouts, it registers as belonging to neither of the bottom two categories. Sometimes it acknowledges notes around that pitch as belonging to the green-orange category other times not. Other notes around C both below the one mentioned and above (into the positive cents) register at red-yellow. Other notes go as low as C4 -twenty something cents and still belong to red-yellow. Is it a bug or something up with my computer?

Angelman

Postby Angelman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the red/yellow category would be any C or D, detuned or not.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am

Strange.. I thought I wrote about that in Updates n Fixes... Realbasic creates temp files to play the sounds, and sometimes it gets its paths crossed. I can't solve that programmatically, unfortunately, but quitting ETC and relaunching will delete the temp files and re-set all the paths.

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Should I be restarting the program every few games then?

Axeman

Postby Axeman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:10 pm

I am sorry.I do remember now that post you made Chris about temp files but only skimmed it. I had the game open for days returning to it after putting the comp into hibernation mode. It was frustrating because I kept getting done in by that same note every game.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:20 pm

You'll want to restart any time that you discover a tone is definitely being mishandled by the game. It doesn't actually happen that often, but when it does, it will persist until you exit and restart the game.

Return to “Absolute Pitch Painter”