grammar's in the kitchen making brownies

Anything that's nothing to do with music.
aruffo
Site Admin

grammar's in the kitchen making brownies

Postby aruffo » Wed May 02, 2007 1:48 am

It's gotten to the point where I am astonished if I see any one of these used correctly:

its
lose
your
a lot
every day
all right
rein (as in "free rein")

I suppose that "all right" is a losing battle, because the single-word version has become a legitimate usage, but you'll never catch me writing it. From dictionary.com:
The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

The others seem to be as viruses which have insinuated themselves into the public consciousness-- I was appalled when I recently picked up a 2005 book from the library and found both "you're" and "it's" used as possessives. This has to mean that the original author, the manuscript's editor, the proofreader, and EVERYONE involved in the process of creating this book failed to recognize these as errors.

I'm bothered, not because I think "people should use correct grammar", but because encountering such an obvious and blatant error while I'm trying to read is physically uncomfortable. It makes me feel the same as when I'm eating an apple and accidentally bite into the seed core.

Brown

Postby Brown » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 am

Seeing as I grew up with the word 'alright' I have no qualms with it, however, I have a strong urge to avoid adding to the poor grammar I see today. I feel that communication will become problematic if we allow grammar to degenerate too far and so I do not to contribute to society that way. Do you know of any good books to instruct on correct grammar? It would be useful on the little things such as the many uses and forms of the word "its".

Cheers,

Brown

P.S. Now I know why a spell check was installed :)

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:30 pm

I think any good books will help teach correct grammar-- I think that correct grammar is learned from repeated and consistent exposure to good usage, rather than repeated exposure to bad usage with the occasional reminder of good.

Return to “Completely unrelated discussion”