how to memorize new words and their meanings

Anything that's nothing to do with music.
petew83
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

how to memorize new words and their meanings

Postby petew83 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am

anybody have tricks or a good method to memorize new words and their definitions? I seem to suck at this

thank you

etaxier
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etaxier » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Three "tricks," ordered from what works the least (for me) to what works best (again, for me)...

Associate the words with something familiar, like familiar sounds, known words, prefixes, etc., and group the words together if you're keeping a list. E.G., Disambiguate: undo ambiguity, like disassemble is "undo an assemblage"; Nefarious: similar sound to neh-fierce; Disambiguate and nefarious can be grouped together

Actually study the words not once, but five times: the first time, and again after an hour, after a day, after a week, after a month.

Use the words. This is the best method; applies to learning foreign languages as well.

Andi

Postby Andi » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:26 am

What kind of words do you mean?

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 am

I'm curious to know what it means to suck at learning new words and definitions..? How do you try to learn them, and what happens when you fail?

If it's something like those word-a-day calendars that you're into I wouldn't be at all surprised.. I even recall seeing (and shaking my head at) a kind of reading method where you were supposed to remember words by association with phonemic groupings... but how do you attempt it?

petew83

Postby petew83 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:54 pm

I was basically just writing them down as i read and then looked up definition later. then i would come across the same word a couple days later and would have forgotten the definition already! when I wrote out the definitions by hand it didn't seem to help too much either.

I've thought about getting a portable electronic dictionary (I hear Franklin has the best one) that also includes games and stuff, hopefully pronunciations as well, but it's a bit expensive.

Also there is a great website I found recently for SAT words...
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games_vocab_sat.htm
It's multiple choice and the repetition seems to help nail down the words (I play until 100% accuracy is achieved on each level)

something I've noticed recently is that tying a word to an emotion, feeling, or visual (or other sensory) setting helps me remember it.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm

that's peculiar... I never thought about this before. I'm off to the theater right now (opening night tonight) but I wonder if there's something to be found in comparing the differences in how we approach new words. I suspect we'll find them to be quite different.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:19 pm

petew83

Postby petew83 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 am

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am

KosciaK

Postby KosciaK » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:00 pm

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:22 pm

KosciaK

Postby KosciaK » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:41 pm

etaxier

Postby etaxier » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:00 pm

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:41 pm

petew83

Postby petew83 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Return to “Completely unrelated discussion”