"Chordprogressionsfall"

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
Musa

"Chordprogressionsfall"

Post by Musa » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:20 am

Hi there. I have been thinking about that idea of game like Chordfall, but working in chord progressions recognition.

While the possible combinations are potentially infinite, a simple starting point would be having the program giving you the tonic tone/chord; then, the game begins to throw different scale degrees that you have to identify.

The program could randomly pick up a given inversion of, let's say, II degree, then another randomly chosen inversion of VI degree, and so on.

If we have in mind both major and minor harmony, and starting with C we would have to correctly identify as "III", "IV", "VIIb", "VII", etc:

- randomly chosen chords
- each one in a randomly chosen inversion

In the major rounds:

I CMaj7 (C6)
II Dm7
III Em7
IV FMaj7 (F6)
V G7
VI Am7
VII Bm7b5

and, in the minor rounds:

I Cm CmMaj7
II Dm7b5
IIIb EbMaj7
IV Fm7
V G7
VIb AbMaj7
VI Am7b5
VIIb BbMaj7
VII Bo

(see http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-chord- ... sions.html and
http://www.petethomas.co.uk/jazz-minor-harmony.thml

---

Another line to think about could be having the game throwing cadences at you, and you having to recognise "perfect" (i.e., sun icon = V->I or V7->IMaj7), "plagal" (moon or monk icon) and so on, progressing to "flamenco cadences" (III -> IIb -> I), "jazz" (IIm7->V7->IMaj7), modal cadences (i.e. Im -> VII -> Vm for dorian...). But the former idea seems quite more straightforward.

---

This was just an initial, general idea. I think It would be useful and fun, and perhaps Chris and others would find it interesting. But I would like to hear any comments.

davemac

Chord progession and intonation?

Post by davemac » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:38 am

I think a chord progression game is a great idea ,chords when they flow from one to the next seem somehow different even when you can identify them quickly in isolation,I guess its a speed thing ?
I would also like to mention that perhaps an intonation game would be benificial ,as this is part of increasing the awareness of the ear on more precisely what it is hearing,which could then maybe free up the ear to listen for the chroma.One thing is for sure good musicians know when they are in tune ,and more importantly when they are not!

Davemac!

Musa

Chordprogression and intonation games

Post by Musa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:51 pm

Being able to recognize series of chords, no matter what inversion, seems to be the basis for (a) being able to play the chords of a given song "by ear" and, probably, of (b) put in chords "the song that you are hearing inside your head", that is, composition. I mean, to do this easily.

Besides, about the "intonation game", there is an option in ETC for Mac with singing games: you have to sing the right pitch at request, and the machine gets it through the micro. Perhaps is this what you are thinking about ...?

Inonation game?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:28 am

Unfortunately only have Windows,so thats out,but it could probably be done using samples.If say you were given a tone,and then presented with others to chose from only one of which was accurately in tune with the original,the idea being to choose right to progress.This could be any interval starting maybe with unisons, and octaves, then fifths ,and so on.As the levels go up then so would the accuracy required do,maybe even to Pavorotti levels.
The relevance to absolute pitch training I think I would let Chris decide,but I think its true that string players are more likely to have perfect pitch. This maybe due to the fact that they have to make the itonation themselves ,as opposed to say a guitarist ,some of whom rely totally on electronic tuners.I am finding that its no easy job to distinguish pitch ,from timbre, from chroma,and by filling in as many gaps as I can hope to get nearer to acheiving this.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:42 am

I'm grateful for the chord suggestions-- now that the school year's beginning, I have to take a few days to get that rolling before I can return to programming, but these do seem to be the best choices for Chordfall.

I do see the necessity of chord progressions; I understand them to be "words" by analogy (where chords are the syllables), and of course any language requires words! For the moment, I'm thinking of it as its own separate game... but the more I continue the work, the more I wonder how integrated it will all ultimately become.

Microphone input for Windows and Mac is high priority-- APB updates are paramount, naturally, and Chordfall seems more immediately pressing, but microphone input is clearly a necessity for both APB and Interval Loader, and the sooner I can figure out how to get *$&#$ Realbasic to comprehend microphone input on Windows, the better off we'll all be!

Musa

More on chord progressions

Post by Musa » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:32 am

Along with http://www.petethomas.co.uk (jazz), here I add another good source for chord progressions (rock, folk, jazz...):

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/lesson.html

Probably one needs a bit of time to catch it all.