Why doesn't Chordhopper play back the chords you choose?

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
MattV

Why doesn't Chordhopper play back the chords you choose?

Post by MattV » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Interval Loader plays back each interval or scale degree as you choose them. I like this feature because my mistakes are immediately obvious, even when I'm not looking at the screen. Why doesn't Chordhopper do the same thing with the chords you choose?

Edit: I noticed that it does play back the chord you choose, but only when you choose the wrong chord! No wonder I react as if I've been shocked whenever I make a mistake in the game.

Edit #2: Now that I've established that my mistakes are also obvious in Chordhopper (enough to give me a jolt), I think there must be another reason that I like Interval Loader's playback of my answers. Somehow I am better able to get into a rhythm when there's a back-and-forth quality to the sounds. It becomes like a like a good game of ping-pong. That never seems to happen with Chordhopper.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 am

The only reason Chordhopper doesn't do that is because it would make the game twice as long.. but you're right-- I should've realized the jarring startled feeling came from hearing the unexpected chord. I suppose I could make it an option to have em on or off...

MattV

Post by MattV » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:47 am

aruffo wrote:The only reason Chordhopper doesn't do that is because it would make the game twice as long.
Which brings me to another feature of Interval Loader, the game speed settings....

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55 am

Speed settings? They don't go fast enough?

I seem to remember that the Mac version goes considerably slower than the PC version... the PC, cranked up, is PDQ.

MattV

Post by MattV » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 am

The speed settings in Interval Loader are just fine. What I meant was that Chordhopper does not have speed settings (unless you count auto-play).

MattV

Post by MattV » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Another reason to have Chordhopper play the chords the player chooses is that it would probably make the player less likely to hear a series of chords as a chord progression.

Chordhopper appears to select each chord independently, without regard to voice-leading considerations (which would make certain chords more likely or less likely to follow other chords). If this is true, it is not in the player's interest to group consecutively heard chords together.