drat

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
aruffo
Site Admin

drat

Post by aruffo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:56 pm

I just realized that I'm going to have to redraw just about all the Chordhopper tiles. It occurred to me that while the tiles do have the color clue to show all the F-root, G-root, etc, they don't have visual cues to indicate the chord shape (I/IV/V).

When I made Chordsweeper I included such an indication-- all the I-chords had a yellow foreground, the IV-chords blue, and the V-chords brown, and the background corresponded to the key signature (e.g. a C-major I-chord was a yellow dog on a red background).

In this, though, the first three I-chords are a red gemstone, an orange basketball, and a blue fish. Nothing visually similar there..!

I'm disappointed only because I was very pleased with the amusing variety of little pictures in Chordhopper, and now it seems I'll have to limit the variety-- there will be 12 different gemstones for the I-chords, 12 different flowers for the IV-chords, and 12 different something-or-other for the V-chords.

Another possibility would be to keep the little pictures as they are, but to add dots in the corners-- perhaps 1 dot for a I-chord, 2 dots for a IV-chord, and 3 dots for a V-chord-- but then there would need to be more dots for the seventh chord and its four inversions.

Any suggestions that would help me avoid completely redrawing sixty-odd little tiles would be welcome.
Last edited by aruffo on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andi

Post by Andi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 am

I always thought that I, IV, V refered to the scaledegree of the chord and not to its shape. In case of chordhopper the colors indicate the I-IV-V type of the chord. The shape of the chord is now indicated by the symbols at the top of the game where the bottomnote is highlighted with a colored circle around it.
But I do agree that an indication at the tile itself would be helpful. (I myself have not so far realized the different shapes. I hear it's the I-chord (eg. a red tile) and chose the right one by the highness of the tone - I hope that's not contraproductive :shock:! )
My actual startingdistance by the way is 12 m

Andi

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:19 am

It does refer to the scale degree-- I suppose I would be more accurate in this context to say "major triad", "first inversion", and "second inversion"; further, that when I say "shape" I mean "structure" rather than "component pitches".

Right now, f'rexample, all the blue tiles represent the chords with G at their root, and that's good; but the first three blue tiles are second inversion, first inversion, and major triad, respectively, and the icons don't offer any indication of this fact. It is true that someone could intuit the structures (as the structure is the most obvious feature) but I expect a visual categorical grouping would be helpful too.

TS

Post by TS » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:44 am

You could use the tile border to indicate the chord shape, like when guessing single tones in the beginning the tile border is highlighted to indicate the correct answer.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 am

Ooh! That's so easy and obvious I'm sure I never would have thought of that. Phew.. what a relief. I'll just alter the borders somehow (perhaps I'll adjust their shapes instead of their colors!) and that will do the trick.

Thanks! That'll save me hours and hours, you betcha.