Some questions -- ETC now also for 3-5? and 5+

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.
etaxier

Some questions -- ETC now also for 3-5? and 5+

Post by etaxier » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey, I've got a couple questions...

First, you haven't mentioned it explicitely yet, but I thought you'd find it exciting that this game should "work absolutely" for 3-5 year olds. You currently list ETC for 5+ on the main page, but that might not be the case any more, right?

Second, how exactly does chordhopper now work for 5+ if it doesn't do for us old folks what the Eguchi method was designed to do for 3-5 year olds? I read something you said before about hearing components of chords clearly, but I couldn't quite make sense of it. What's chordhopper's purpose? How does it work? How does it fit in with the rest of ETC? What makes for a good "ETC session" now...one chordhopper game, ten minutes of IL, ten minutes of APB? Does it account for "jazz" chords with altered tones? I wasn't a huge fan of chordfall as a game, but its goals were a little more clear to me, if only because they fell under a more familiar framework of "here's a chord with quality A, here's a chord with quality B, here's a chord with quality C" and so on, whereas chordhopper is fixed to a scale instead.

Actually a third question has popped into my head. One of chordhopper's wonderful features is the controlled "game period" of 50 hops. Are you thinking of implimenting that feature into IL and APB, or will that only happen when/if you somehow combine all three games into one? I guess this question sort of fits in with my question of what makes for a good ETC session.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:10 pm

I've been planning to write my next main-site update to answer many of the questions you've raised-- I thought I might do that tonight, and I still may, but today's rehearsal was wearing (as we open next week) so I need to catch my breath. I'm anticipating a looong write-fest.

I'd still encourage parents of 2-5 year olds to use We Hear and Play first. Chordhopper is not a complete solution. The three Japanese papers show a 100% success rate at being able to name and identify the seven tones of the C-major scale (presumably the "black keys" were as successfully trained, but the experiment stopped after the first nine chords)-- and what will a child do with that knowledge? I think absolute pitch training should be a component of a more holistic training in rhythm, reading, and musical expression.

Put another way: the A-B-Cs need a language to go with them.

On the other hand, I would certainly say that Chordhopper is an answer for parents who do not have the time or energy to share We Hear and Play with their children, because a young child who has gained absolute pitch skill can (presumably) explore music on their own more effectively.

I'm expecting that the new pitch game will incorporate a limit similar to the 50 hops, although I haven't yet determined what will be counted down.