Changing levels

Comments and questions about Chordhopper.

Changing levels

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:01 pm

I've been playing chordfall and have made it to level 20 on the roots, but can't choose to add inversions or anything like that. The message I keep getting is that they're not unlocked yet. When I try to "choose level" it shows a picture of a seal and the number 20 and when I click either the up or down arrow the only message I get is "this is the highest level for game 1."

How many levels are there for game 1? I think at about 14 nothing new was added... I know it says 55,000 points and all but the most I've ever gotten is 5000. I think I've mastered the roots section, but now it seems like I'd have to play for days and days to get a score that high. Is there a way to disable this at all? Scoring points becomes tedious and difficult with only six available columns and 13 possible choices.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:15 pm

There are patterns you can use to score higher-- getting 3 in a row scores higher, and causing other X-in-a-row to fall together in a chain reaction scores double.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:06 pm

I don't want to sound cruel or harsh, but I'm not playing the game just to gain points. I'm not interested in lining up three objects or creating double scores or anything like that. I just want to learn; it seems like you're rewarding the playing of the game rather than the learning part. For example, the player only gets a score when three or more similar objects are lined up, but that's not rewarding the fact that the player got them right in the first place. Alot of the time I was frustrated that I had to play the game and place the block after getting a correct answer, and not just move on. It seems like the point of the game should be to learn the sound of the chords and be rewarded for that instead of being rewarded for the ability to line three or more things up. I do like the idea of playing a game in order to learn something, but I would never play a game like that just for the entertainment. Perhaps at least you could reward the player alot for getting the anwer correctly and not so much for the placement of the animal tile.

I love the idea of making it a game so that the learning isn't such a chore, but it seems like either the game should be in the background, or it should be truly entertaining. Not that this is on topic, but space invaders was barely fun when there wasn't any learning involved; why should I want to play it for an hour?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:29 am

Unfortunately, you're right about Chordfall-- it needs serious revision. It still has its effects and benefits, but yes, it should be possible to progress without having to "be clever". Among other changes.

Now that you mention it, I suppose it would make perfect sense to have a non-game implementation available for those who just want the drills-- and who have the patience for it. Funny that I was so focused on the game aspect that I didn't even think of making a non-game version available (with the exception of the Monstercourse). Look for that in an upcoming release... probably after the literacy module, but certainly in time.

etaxier

Post by etaxier » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 am

The non-game implementation can be simple like in absolute pitch blaster, which has an "auto-fire" button. I guess you can make an "auto-fall" option in chordfall!

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:37 am

Ah yes! That makes sense. Of course I'll have to figure out how to calculate which is the correct position for a tile (eep!) but that would do the trick, wouldn't it.!

(and the "Stomping Grounds" is still on the agenda for APB, all the same.)

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:18 pm

I decided that I'd play the game again from a points perspective and managed to rack up about 110,000 points. Happy with that, I decided I'd just do "maintenence" playing until I got to level 14. So I got to level 15 and the levels were still locked! Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bug? Mind you I had to get some deliberately wrong so that I'd have enough boxes to keep them all seperate...

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:55 am

That does seem a bit odd.. it's been a while since I wrote that, so I don't remember off the top o' my head how that works. I'll take a look under the hood and report back to you. Sorry for the confusion...!

henry

Post by henry » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 pm

I have another possible bug here: I am at level 16 and cannot adjust the starting point, hence I cannot score more than 200 or so because I need practice. Is there any way to fix this besides starting a new player?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 pm

I'm surprised it doesn't start you at level 1. What happens when you try to adjust the level downward? Does it give you a message telling you you can't?

henry

Post by henry » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:46 am

whether I adjust it down or up I get the same "this is the highest level for game 1"
EDIT: I just undid the "remember level" option. This let me choose a level, but only from 1-12 (this is fine for me at the moment, but this seems like a problem nonetheless).

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Oh yes.. I remember that problem.

There is, unfortunately, an inherent flaw in the design of the game itself which makes it unreliable as a training tool after a certain level-- specifically, I inadvertently programmed one of the chords so that its inversion is the same as one of the other un-inverted chords.

Which is, largely, why I need to get cracking on the new chord game as well as the new pitch game. I'm not sure whether I'll have it/them finished by summer's end, but come the fall I'll be doing part-time research to leave more time for ETC development.