What I'd pay to see...

Comments and questions about Interval Loader.
koenig

What I'd pay to see...

Postby koenig » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:10 am

I've used other ear training programs: Ear Master Pro, Earope, Solfege, etc. In my opinion, none of them present the information in a way as effective as does Interval Loader. So as much as I would love to have perfect pitch, I would rather see a more extensive version of the relative pitch software in ETC. I'd really like to see two note phrases and even three note phrases presented in a systematic way just like the single notes. Maybe scales and rhythms as well? I know the work that programming requires is time consuming and tedious but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:51 am

I haven't had too much experience with those other programs.. what would you describe their doing that's annoying and/or ineffective? (I have my suspicions, but I'd prefer to read your opinions..!)

Axeman

ear trainer in Band in a box

Postby Axeman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:35 am

The ear trainer in band in a box is pretty cool i think. There are some good rhythmic games and also a relative pitch one too. the rhythmic game gives you a count in and a short rhythmic score to read and play.. you play the rhythm by beating a drum (two keys) then you get a score as a % of accuracy and a really encouraging girls voice saying things like " good job" or "excellent" and if you do badly just "try again".
The relative pitch one is even more fun. It is based on old space invaders type games where you shoot down alien craft by typing in the right note on the keypad (each one is assigned to a piano note) You get to choose what notes to be tested on (within key) and other variables too. I found it too easy on the beginner stages but a beginner would benefit i think.
The program also has a chord recognition game that isn't as exciting.

koenig

Postby koenig » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

Well, I think what separates interval loader is that you've put a lot of thought into what order the information is presented in and it's a game, not a test. Those other programs that I mentioned are pretty much, you choose what to be tested on, they test you, you get a percentage and passing/failing grade. I prefer to just play a game and learn as I'm playing, especially if it's well organized.

Wade

Postby Wade » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Earmaster and similar programs make ear training dependent on instrumental ability and music-theoretical knowledge, whereas music learning pedagogy, as far as I can tell, recommends developing the ear well in advance of those skills. Also, by combining all of those drills with notation and so on, you probably miss out on whatever benefits you might have gained by isolating the ear training proper.

ETC also is much less obtrusive. Playing it, I find I'm less conscious of working on something, and just listen to the tones. Much harder to concentrate when you have to worry about a complicated GUI, a mouse, and a piano keyboard, and have always in the back of your mind the awareness that you're doing drills.

Return to “Interval Loader”