Harmonic association

Comments and questions about Interval Loader.
Stefan

Post by Stefan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Yes I see, but I do not see how this would be effective without the use of an instrument such as the piano to test the concept before you associate it with the symbol, after all the association of the location of the sounds on the instruments to the sounds of the intervals is the most important thing if your doing ear training from a musician stand point and not a listening...

Wade

Post by Wade » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm

What is a "listening" standpoint, as opposed to a "musician's" one? Don't conservatories, for example, have instrumentalists learn sight singing, dictation, and other aspects of musicianship apart from their training on a specific instrument?

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 am

Well a musician would involve a 'physical/mechanical' mastery of an instrument... listening on the other hand, does not...

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am

people who listen are not proactive in the skill of creating music other than the ability to whistle, the other aspects of music depend greatly on their proactivity involved, the instrument/instruments and other specifics such as physiological disorders like blindness...

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Well I have been playing the game without my keyboard for awhile and just visualizing the intervals on the keyboard instead, perhaps I was wrong to say that it would be in effective without the use of an actual instrument...

Sleeper

Post by Sleeper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

And the correlation from the symbols to an instrument is straightforward. I mean, the symbols on the side basically just form a chromatic scale.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Sleeper wrote:And the correlation from the symbols to an instrument is straightforward. I mean, the symbols on the side basically just form a chromatic scale.
yes they form a chromatic scale, but one completely irrelevant to performing on an instrument, you cannot perform/play/compose on that chromatic scale, but with that said, focusing on the sounds then on my instruments relation to those sounds then finally pressing the hotkey for the sound and not worrying about the symbols at all is working wonderfully for me.

Kayd

Post by Kayd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Isn't associating the interval with a symbol representative of it's solfege syllable equivelent to giving the interval a name, and isn't interval loader therefore teaching a name for the interval?

Sleeper

Post by Sleeper » Fri May 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Stefan wrote: yes they form a chromatic scale, but one completely irrelevant to performing on an instrument, you cannot perform/play/compose on that chromatic scale
I don't agree with that. The frets on a guitar form a chromatic scale, and it seems as though people can perform, play, and compose with it.

Or a piano. Hit C and C#, and you get the lowest interval loader in interval loader. Now move the higher note to the next key, and the next key, and the next one, and you can bang out all the intervals in Interval Loader, in order. It's extremely intuitive.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 pm

I am talking about relating hand positioning to a chromatic scale in order to improve performance and memory of the intervals on any instrument, by practicing the intervals on an actual instrument you will be more familiar with the hand position required to play the interval. The chromatic scale within the interval loader application that consists of a vertical display of images is one you cannot perform or play on which is what I was referring to, I said nothing about not being able to perform on a guitar or piano, I am actually agreeing that people should USE their instrument when practicing this applications methods in order to familiarize ones self with the actual position of the intervals on the instruments rather than just using your computer keyboard or the mouse to hit the hot key or click the image associated with the interval sound... you are interpreting what I am saying all wrong.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Sat May 02, 2009 4:56 am

Probably true.. the way it is now is a compromise with the fact that Realbasic doesn't do MIDI input and output very well (if at all).