Unlocking levels

Comments and questions about Interval Loader.
Juuso

Unlocking levels

Postby Juuso » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:46 am

I just bought ECT and tried a game of interval loader. I'm pretty good with intervals so I did levels 1-4 without a single mistake. The problem is, when I quit the game and tried to continue later, it started again on level 1. Which was of course a bit boring.

Then I tried the same with the "remember level" activated, but it didn't work either.

Then I tried choosing the level from the menu, but alas, even level 2 is not unlocked.

So what is up with this? I tried searching the forums and noticed someone else having a similar problem. A workaround was to intentionally make enough mistakes in a row in order to get to "game over", which should then save the score. Is this what I need to start doing in order to not have to start from scratch every time?

Sounds strange to make intentional mistakes when you are trying to keep track of which intervals you still need to practice. Intentional mistakes probably make a complete mess of the statistics. So is this really what I need to do in order to get to higher levels at all? And if so, does it make a difference WHEN I start making the mistakes? Should I clear one level completely and do the mistakes at the beginning of the next level?

Apart from this technical glitch I absolutely love the game! This is exactly the kind of mindless and stress free environment which makes learning fun and probably hell of a lot quicker than when being tense and trying too hard.

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 am

It's not a glitch, but a feature! The highest unlocked level is the level of your highest high score on the high-score table. If you aren't saving your high score, then you won't be able to start at higher levels.

Your score compounds, of course, so if you blast ahead to level X then you'll have a much higher score than if you get there gradually, and it'll be more difficult to "remember" still-higher levels. You don't have to start making deliberate mistakes; that's why I added an "end game" option on the menu.

I believe that the "remember level" will remember what level you started at (using the "starting level" menu option), not the level you ended at.

Juuso

Postby Juuso » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

Basically I was just ending the game the wrong way, not using the "end game" command and just quitting the whole program.

Now I'm confronted with a different issue though. As someone mentioned in the forum, it is difficult to unlock higher levels if you make one really high "high score". Well, I wanted to see how far I can go and did a marathon to blast through all the easy levels (to get to the good stuff). I quit that game after about an hour or so. I don't remember what the high score was, but it was something silly anyway. I don't think I'm ever going to beat that and be unlocking new levels anytime soon.

Somebody already had a workaround for this, by ending the game as soon as you have beaten your previous high score. I think I'll start from the beginning and do that. It's going to be a bore to go through all the easy levels again, but that's no biggie.

yovecmm

Starting Level

Postby yovecmm » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:15 am

I had the same experience as Juuso (sp?) . I also have no preferences available . I am using in Mac OS X . How do I get preferences to work? :D

aruffo
Site Admin

Re: Unlocking levels

Postby aruffo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "no preferences available". What are you attempting to do, and how is it failing?

yovecmm

Postby yovecmm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:58 am

Hey Chris -
In the pull down file menu under ETC7x, the Preferences option is grayed out

sam

Postby sam » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:32 am

I got frustrated with this aspect of the game, which led me to stop playing it. I don't care about scores at all. I just want to play a level, beat it, and move on. I want to close the game, and when I open it back up, be in the exact same place I left it. I would love the option to play this way, because then I would play :)

aruffo
Site Admin

Postby aruffo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm

The scoring is set up the way it is because repetition to the point of ease, and not "moving further", is what causes learning to happen.

Still, you don't have to stay limited by what ETC does for you. Interval Loader is the same kind of training regimen as Bruce Arnold's "One Note Ear Training"-- go give that a look, and you may find something more to your liking!

Return to “Interval Loader”