What is the Modulation board?

For sharing experiences with the Fletcher Music Method.
BigRed

What is the Modulation board?

Post by BigRed » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 pm

What exactly is the modulation board? The fletcher music ad mentions it several times. I'd like to see some pictures or read a desciption of it and its use. Is it designed only for children?

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Fri May 21, 2010 5:27 am

I think her patent for the device is available on-line...

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Fri May 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Thanks Chris, but no luck so far. I tried the following google searches:

Evelyn+Fletcher+Copp+modulation+board+patent
fletcher+music+method+modulation+board+patent+Application
Fletcher+Music+Method+Modulation+Board+Patent
Fletcher+Modulation+Board+Patent
Fletcher+Modulation+Patent
Modulation+Board+Patent
Modulation+Board

All I get are "Fletcher-Mundson curves" and patent applications for other things having to do with music (or not).

I also tried searching through the U.S. Patent Office database, but got no results, either for her name or "modulation board"

Axeman

modulation board

Post by Axeman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 am

I think you can work out what the board is by looking at the pic in the fletcher method book and following her directions.

I think that the board is a series of holes in a board that correspond to the keys of the piano. The board sits on a stand (2 bits of wood at either end) and the stands sit on the outer edge of the piano i.e. the part of the piano where the keys come to an end and there is some solid wood. The holes are in rows that are in line with the keys of the piano. The wholes are then pegged with coloured pegs to map out, for instance, the primary chords of a particular key. In the next row it is possible then to create the same chords with pegs of a different colour by spacing the pegs with the same gaps as in the first key. This is simply a matter of knowing what the key note is of each key and then working out the gaps between pegs of the first key and making the new key the same. This is analogous to modulation.

C D EF G A BC D EF G A BC D EF G A BC D EF G
- . . . - . . - . . . . . . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . . . .
. . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . . . . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . . . - . . . - . . - .
. . - . . . - . . - . . . . . . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . . . - . . . - . . - . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Here I have made the primary chords in the key of C (1st line)
F (2nd line) and D (3rd line)

the # and b notes are in the gaps between the natural notes above. I didn't write them because they took up too much room and didn't line up with the dots.

You could do the same thing with a scale passage or phrase.
Hope this helps.