Time Blocks

For sharing experiences with the Fletcher Music Method.
Axeman

Time Blocks

Post by Axeman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:34 am

I have been using the time blocks with promising results so far. Check out my blog with pics of the kids' work. Years 3-4 i.e. 8 & 9 year olds. http://balmoralmusic.blogspot.com/2008/12/time-blocks.html We have had great fun learning this way.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 am

Neat! The time blocks had struck me as perhaps the most practical and intuitive of her various toys. I remember enjoying the Cuisinare rods when I was in 2nd grade.

Axeman

time and feel

Post by Axeman » Sat May 16, 2009 2:53 am

I have had a little longer with the time blocks in the classrooms now. We have started to look at time and feel or time signatures.
In the method handbook Fletcher makes a differentiation between time and feel or was it rhythm but doesn't really explain it.
I was teaching the kids about time signatures (Not actually using that term). By laying out 1/4 note block 'trains' in pairs, threes, 4s, 5s and 6s and getting them to march around the room clapping they were able to get a good feel for each one. They had to clap louder on the first beat of each cycle and count in their heads or aloud. Some children naturally stumbled onto the fact that they were landing on a different foot each cycle if they were doing an odd metre and the same foot for even.
Our next step is to split the beats into smaller divisions and then match the note symbols to each block row.