great little read

For sharing experiences with the Fletcher Music Method.
Axeman

great little read

Post by Axeman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 am

I have been reading the Fletcher method books for a number of weeks now. The method has so many interesting points. I am dying to try out some of the games with my 7 year olds at school.
I have found a place online that does flash cards will post address later.
Actually here it is
http://www.musicfun.biz/
The cards don't cover as many notes / symbols as the Fletcher Method recommends but is a good start and not as time consuming as making them myself.
I feel that her method is so huge in scope that it may take me a lifetime of teaching to implement most of the things mentioned but I am hoping to implement a few shortly. One in particular is the time blocks. I am converting a set of blocks which I made for my own kids which were simple fractions of each other like wholes, halves, thirds, quarters, fifths etc. so that they will correspond to the time values in music.
I tried a version of one of the games in my class with good success. I can't remember the name of the game but it involved note naming. the kids enjoyed the challenge and had fun too. I am excited about trying the other games.
I was thinking about the 'dumb piano', which I thik is a brilliant idea, that it could be easily made from an old upright or other piano keyboard by just taking out the keys and the supporting housing and then labelling them. For a calssroom of up to thirty odd students I figure I will need at least four 'dumb pianos' in order to play the games effectively.
I have just landed this job this year and hope to build a programme over the next 5 years that will be effective and interesting. The Fletcher Method is full of good ideas for me. Good Spotting Chris.