Any active Fletcher Method teachers?

For sharing experiences with the Fletcher Music Method.
Ryan Herr

Any active Fletcher Method teachers?

Post by Ryan Herr » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:57 pm

I am curious if there are any active teachers using the Fletcher Music Method ... also curious if any other books or methods acknowledge being influenced by the Fletcher Music Method. Thanks for your time and assistance. -Ryan Herr.

aruffo
Site Admin

Post by aruffo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:27 am

As far as I know, no, there are no active Fletcher Music Method teachers. There are instructors who have ordered the teacher's manual and are using some of the games and strategies in their own classes, but they are not "Fletcher Method" teachers (and, obviously, they aren't making great use of this forum yet).

As I read her books, it become obvious what happened. Fletcher-Copp refused to "teach by correspondence"-- she would only certify teachers who visited Boston to train under her for three full weeks (and remember, this was between 1895-1920, before commercial air travel), and anyone who did not complete this training was not allowed to order, purchase, or use her patented materials. And the people she had trained were not allowed to recruit and train new teachers! You could only become a Fletcher Method teacher by going to study with Fletcher herself.

Naturally, then, despite all the luminaries who supported her method (such as John Philip Sousa!), despite the institutions who appreciated its value, and despite the evident success of her approach, the method died with her, and the "Fletcher Method" teachers have (probably) themselves all passed on by now. It's possible that there are still a few of them hanging on, somewhere, but considering that Fletcher died in 1943, even a then-young music teacher would be well into his or her 80s by now-- and that's assuming Fletcher taught her method right up to the day she died.

Fohsaf

Post by Fohsaf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Too early...